Thursday, October 6, 2011

31 for 21 - Day 6!!!!!

Thankful Thursday

It's Thursday, and it's a beautiful day here.  We don't get many October days when it's in the 80's like today - definately something to be thankful for!!  Driving home from school, it got me thinking how much Steve and I have to be thankful for....

I have said it before - I have an amazing (almost!) 8 year old.  She is a heck of kid - and I'm constantly amazed by her.  She has such a good heart.  She's caring.  She loves her brother so much and I know that he will have a great advocate in her as she gets older!

I think about how much I have learned since Colin was born just over a year ago.  In fact, my learning began when we received his DS diagnosis in May of 2010!  I was one of those moms from the beginning of this journey who wanted to know exactly what was going to happen.  Of course, most of that couldn't be answered.  I was thankful to be able to have Colin near our house at St. Anthony's (they don't have a NICU) since our doctors were comfortable that there wouldn't be any surprises at his birth.  Everything went the way we wanted it to.

I am thankful that I was able to breastfeed and pump for the first 10 months of Colin's life.  This was so important to me - and we went through a lot to get to that point.  {Thanks Lavawn!!  I LOVE YOU!!  I couldn't have made it without you and your amazing support!}  So many babies with DS aren't able to breastfeed and Colin did pretty good. 

I am thankful that my little guy wasn't born with a heart defect.  That was my ONLY concern I had throughout the last 1/2 of my pregnancy.  We knew there *shouldn't* be anything major - his fetal echo and multiple level 2 ultrasounds showed his heart looked great.  But of course, we wouldn't know 100% until his echo at birth.  I'll be honest, that would have set me over the edge - I'm not sure I would have been strong enough to handle that! 

I am thankful that throughout Colin's 1st year, he's been a healthy little guy!  Sure he's had some respiratory issues - sick a handful of times, but I'll take that!  Sure he's watched closely by a pediatric endocrinologist for some slightly elevated thyroid levels - but I'll take that!  Sure he's been on the tiny side - but again, I'll take that! 

When I read about families who have children with DS that struggle or medical issues, I realize how blessed we truly are. 

I am thankful for Colin's extra chromosome...  In fact, I'm not sure who he would be without it!  It has certainly made me one lucky and thankful momma!


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on being thankful for that extra chromosome...our children would just not be the same without it and they are lovely and perfect, just the way they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful for your little cutie too:)

    ReplyDelete