Saturday, October 1, 2011

31 for 21 - Day 1!

{Reflections on the last year....}




Yes, October is breast cancer awareness month - but it's also down syndrome awareness month!  Throughout the blogging world, many take on the 31 for 21 challenge!  A blog each day in October to help raise awareness about our amazing children...  See, they are very much the same as "typical" children - they are just extra special because of that magical extra #21!!  So, what's a perfect way for me to kick off 31 for 21?  I will reflect on the last year.....

Last week Colin turned ONE!!  It's hard to believe that a year ago my little guy was born.  My 7lb 2 oz little guy has grown into a 19lb chunker!!  I've learned a lot over the last year and I wouldn't change A SINGLE THING.  Well, maybe the 2wk. hospital stay in March/April. 

I still remain so thankful that we found while I was pregnant with Colin that he was going to have down syndrome.  A year ago, when he was born, I was able to just love him for Colin - and not focus on that silly extra chromosome.  Those first few weeks after receiving Colin's diagnosis were very hard for me.  I went through a huge emotional rollercoaster.  I was glad to work through those emotions and feelings while still pregnant.

Colin has taught me a lot about patience.  I think that parents take for granted and just assume that your child will crawl around 7-9 months.  Walk anywhere from 10+ months.  Sit up around 5/6 months.  Eat solids without any problems.  Know how to play with toys.  Each of these things are something Colin works at.  He receives occupational therapy to "teach" him how to play.  He will be starting physical therapy soon to help him become more mobile.  I've learned how much goes into each of these "milestones."  I HATE milestones.  I won't lie about that.  That is the one area that I still struggle with - definately could use more patience with these!!!  Colin sits like a CHAMP.  In fact, this week in OT, he was lifting his legs up while maintaining his balance.  IMPRESSIVE!  The kid isn't anywhere close to crawling yet.  But I know it will come.  And when he finally decides to crawl, it will be even more exciting!  Through this last year, it's been hard to see other people with kids near Colin's age reach these milestones when I know Colin isn't close to them.  But Steve always reminds me that Colin will do his own things at his own pace.

In many ways, I think Colin has taught me how to be a better teacher.  I feel like I have more patience for my students - especially those with special needs.  I look at them in a different light then I ever have before.  I want them to achieve, I want to work with them more, and I want them to enjoy school!

I won't lie, I still have moments where I am down, or sad, or wish that Colin only had 46 pieces to him!  But I wouldn't change it.  I just wish things came easier for him.  And I know as he gets older, there will be more struggles in life - more then his sister will encounter.  But I know that he will be a fighter!  The little boy has spunk to him!

The last year with Colin has been amazing.  I look forward to seeing what the future holds for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment