Tuesday, October 11, 2011

31 for 21 - Day 11

Abilities vs. Disabilities

I hate the word "disabilities."  I don't believe that Colin has disabilities - I feel that he has different abilities!  I know I've mentioned it before, but I have a hard time with milestones.  I know that I really just need to sit back, relax, enjoy where we are at with Colin right now, and now that it will all come - in time!
He may not be walking - or even crawling, but who needs that?!?!  I don't think that's a disability - he still gets to where he wants to go by rolling!  And he has the ability to be one heck of a sitter!  He's pretty strong.
Colin has the ability to charm the pants off anyone.  Last week, I didn't have him with me at Natalie's gymnastics.  I had 3 different ladies, at different times, say to me, "Where's my boyfriend?!?!"  He has charmed them all - it's probably one of his strongest abilities!
Colin has different abilities - I'm sure there are things he does that other 12 month olds don't do.  Those aren't disabilities - all people have various abilities.
Colin's time will come - he'll get it all eventually.  So I might have to carry my little guy around on my hip for longer then most mom's would like - that's ok.  Because he's little, he has the ability to NOT kill my back!!!


Mr. Serious!  He has the ability in about 2.5 seconds to be laughing - his face is constantly changing!  Love this little guy.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I too have a hard time with the milestones, especially as we anxiously await for him to start walking. it's hard...but fun to celebrate the things they ARE doing so well. I just love your colin...such a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete