Monday, January 17, 2011

The little girl in Church

Sunday, Colin was baptised in Church after the 11am mass.  It was beautiful and Father Peter did a wonderful job!  Steve asked me later that day "do you feel better now that he's baptised?"  YES!!  Even with Natalie (who was baptised when she was 5 months old - a little older then I wanted!), I felt a sense of peace having her baptised.  Maybe it's because I never had the chance to have Luke baptised in the Church (although he did receive his baptisism by a chaplain after his death).  Who knows - but it's something that means a lot to me and our family.  His Godparents are Steve's dad and my sister.  Both of which I know will provide him great spiritual direction throughout his life!

Anyways........ 
There's a little girl in our parish who has DS.  I remember the first time I "spotted" her!  I was probably 7/8 months pregnant with Colin, so I already knew about his diagnosis.  The first time I saw her, my eyes watched every move of hers during mass!  She was such a good girl and she sat there with her parents and two other sisters.
 
At the beginning of mass yesterday, the row in front of us was empty.  As soon as mass began, I noticed a family fill in that empty row.  It was the little girl!  She was SO adorable!  Again, I felt like I was always looking at her during mass.  Near the end of mass, right after communion, the little girl and her mom had turned around to watch Colin.  The little girl couldn't take her eyes of him!  And Colin was the same!  She had on this cute little sparkley bright pink ring.  Colin was fascinated by her ring - then again, anything bright and sparkley Colin loves watching.  It was cute.  I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes - to me it was such a touching moment.  It melted my heart to see the two of them so fascinated with each other.

I was so proud of myself!  After mass, I struck up a conversation with her mom.  I asked her how old she was - 10.  I was telling her mom about Colin and his diagnosis.  One of her first questions (of course!) was "is he healthy?"  I think as a mom of a child with DS, that's always one of your first thoughts/concerns.  I told her God had blessed us - Colin was 100% healthy.  She told me that they were the same.  Her daughter had been born with a slight heart murmur, but it corrected itself by the time she was 5.  She ended the conversation by saying "God Bless."  I truly felt like I have been blessed....  I know I've said this before, but again - I felt like it was all going to be ok.  The day of Colin's baptism, I believe this little girl sat there for a reason......

A few pictures from his special day:






GOD BLESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment