Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Who is Colin?

This is my Colin:


He's a baby - and a sweet baby at that!  He's 9.5 months old.  He smiles a lot, and makes people laugh.  He gets a reaction from people, everywhere we go.  Probably because he's so darn adorable!
Oh, and he has down syndrome.   Yes, I know, I've mentioned this before here in my blog.  Colin is a baby with down syndrome - not a downs baby.  Not a downs child.  Not a down syndrome baby.  Not a downs kid.  He's my son and yes, he has down syndrome.  His "syndrome" doesn't define him.  Sure!  He has an extra chromosome - there's more of him to love!!!  But, first and foremost, he's my son, a little boy, my baby.
Where am I coming from??  Too often people refer to kids with down syndrome as "downs kids."  I HATE that - as probably does every mom whose child has DS.  It doesn't define who our children are.  Please remember that.  Lately, I have found doctors to be worst with this!  Colin went to the opthamologist yesterday and twice he refered to Colin has a "downs baby."  I wanted to scream at him and say, "He's my son with down syndrome!!!!!" 
Please remember - the syndrome doesn't define our children.  They are still our children.  Colin is still my amazing 9.5 month old, with that sweet adorable smile.  Oh yes, and he does have down syndrome.

2 comments: